The Calgary Public Library Foundation empowers people to make a difference in their community.
We are a passionate group of non-profit professionals who have been inspired by the impactful programs and services our library system offers. We’re a small and mighty team whose sole purpose is to raise funds for the Calgary Public Library, cultivating innovation and bringing programs, services, and collections to all.
Check this page often for job postings to join our team.
We’re a dedicated group of fundraisers who are constantly striving to make the world better. We believe in our heart of hearts that libraries are critical community hubs and Calgary Public Library improves the lives of Calgarians. Our donors are a top priority and we are truly grateful for each and every one who, through philanthropy, make the Library even better by removing barriers, supporting innovation and creating a more resilient community.
We’ve raised more than $65 million in the last decade, breaking records and creating a culture for Library philanthropy in Canada. We pride ourselves on strong events that not only raise funds for the Library but create memorable experiences that support our long-term fundraising. Our organization has more to do, and we’re looking for our next Event Manager to help us plan and execute events that define and further our brand, ranging from intimate donor receptions to large-scale galas.
You are the perfect combination of creative and detail oriented, and a people person who loves being busy with a variety of tasks. Resourceful is your middle name, and you can remain calm under pressure. You know the small details are as important as the big ones. You are a team player who can work collaboratively and lead volunteers and staff through complex events. Creating, building and growing events is something you are passionate about and you are prepared to take our events into a new era of Library Foundation fundraising.
As events become an increasingly important aspect of our long term fundraising plan, the Event Manager will play a pivotal role in connecting our staff team to new and existing Library supporters. You will be responsible for creating, planning and executing our signature fundraiser, the Lit Gala, which raised more than $1M in 2018. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to expand our popular Library After Dark model to build new events that attract Library supporters.
You will also:
- Create, manage and execute all Library Foundation events, including determining the event scope, logistics, catering, A/V requirements, and rentals.
- Seek and support Event Sponsorships; identifying and securing potential sponsors and in-kind partners.
- Manage and communicate with guests, vendors, partners, speakers, and committee members, as needed.
- Coordinate volunteers and ensure all staff know their duties and responsibilities during events.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to develop promotional and event materials.
- Support the Fund Development Team in soliciting donors and creating events that steward donors of all levels.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations to develop and manage event budgets.
- Support the Data Manager, as needed, to maintain and manage guest lists, speakers and attendees, ensuring the database is up to date.
- Oversee and manage the flow of events, ensuring any issues are addressed immediately and things go as smoothly as possible.
- Liaise with our colleagues at the Library, as necessary.
- Develop post-event summaries and present to the rest of the team.
- A can-do attitude
- 3+ years designing and managing large-scale events
- Experience planning and executing fundraising events and working with sponsors/in-kind support is an asset
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, prioritize work, demonstrate initiative, and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability using Google Workspace and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work flexible hours, as required
- Raiser’s Edge (CRM) experience an asset
- A competitive salary and benefits that reflect the value we place on attracting and retaining a talented team
- 20 Vacation Days
- 16 Personal Flex Days
- 10% RRSP matching
- Please send your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to email@example.com. The subject line of the email should read “Event Manager.” We’d love to see images of events that you have executed in the past, and in your cover letter, tell us about the most successful event in your portfolio.
- We will review all resumes using blind screening and invite the top candidates to discuss their skills at our first round of interviews.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to meet the entire Foundation team for a five minute chat with each of your potential colleagues.
This posting will be open until January 3, 2023, but don’t delay – if you have the experience and the spark we’re looking for, we will call you in for an interview sooner. However, our staff will not be completing any interviews from December 21 – January 3.
We value diversity and inclusion and welcome diverse expertise and talent to support an innovative and collaborative work environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including people of all gender identities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process, so if required, please advise when you are contacted for an interview.