The Calgary Public Library Foundation empowers people to make a difference in their community.
We are a passionate group of non-profit professionals who have been inspired by the impactful programs and services our library system offers. We’re a small and mighty team whose sole purpose is to raise funds for the Calgary Public Library, cultivating innovation and bringing programs, services, and collections to all.
Check this page often for job postings to join our team.
We’re a dedicated group of fundraisers who are constantly striving to make the world better. We believe in our heart of hearts that libraries are critical, and the Calgary Public Library improves the lives of Calgarians. Our donors are a top priority and we are truly grateful for all 21,000+ of them, who, through philanthropy, make the Library even better by removing barriers, supporting innovation and creating a more resilient community.
We’re a collaborative group, more likely to call out to our colleagues and hash out a problem on the fly than send an email. We’re creative problem-solvers who love trying new ideas. We have fun but never forget to challenge each other and the status quo.
Our last campaign, which had an ambitious $350 million goal, saw us breaking records and creating a culture for Library philanthropy in Canada. Our organization is evolving, and we’re looking for a Development Officer, Corporations & Foundations to help us secure funding and sponsorships from corporations, foundations, and other organizations. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to play a part in defining their role with the Calgary Public Library Foundation.
You are a seasoned B2B networking superstar who knows the ins-and-outs of proposal and grant writing. You are an all-around excellent communicator; a storyteller who can appeal to emotions and logic. You love getting out of the office and out into the world, connecting with the right people at the right organizations to secure support for the Calgary Public Library. You know what decision-makers want to see when a document comes across their desk and can confidently navigate conversations about money and ask directly for financial support.
What You’ll Do:
Grow our Resources
- Identify, engage and solicit prospective corporations, foundations and other organizations for donations.
- Collaborate with Library team members to identify areas, pilots and programs that require funding.
- Develop and manage grant applications and accompanying reporting requirements.
- Execute strategic plans for “next chapter” in conjunction with the Director of Development and CEO.
- Build long-lasting, deep relationships.
- Negotiate and mediate to achieve the best outcome for the Library and the donor.
- Cultivate relationships with our Board of Directors, Calgary Public Library staff, leaders, and friends.
- Ensure ongoing familiarity with Library direction, economic environment, current trends in philanthropy and innovation in fundraising and leadership.
- Identify personalized cultivation, solicitation and stewardship tactics with the support of our Creative Director, Communications Manager and Analytics & Data Manager.
Support the Team
- Pitch in and support your colleagues in various scenarios.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Has 2-5 years experience in fundraising or business development and experience writing grant proposals.
- Is a skilled relationship-builder with a proven ability to understand the vision of others and how they can achieve their goals through investment in the Library.
- Is a clear and concise communicator that can not only secure gifts, but develop ongoing relationships with donors to ensure they continue to see the impact of their investment and are properly stewarded.
- Has the ability to exercise a high level of discretion in both internal and external interactions; professional, composed and can demonstrate grace under pressure.
- Has a high level of knowledge about relational database systems and technology applications to enhance business workflow and scalability (we work in Raiser’s Edge NXT).
- Has strong organizational abilities, including planning and organizing complex grants and deadlines with minimal direction.
What You’ll Get:
- A Competitive Salary and Benefits
- 4 Weeks Vacation
- 16 Personal Days
- 10% RRSP matching
- A dynamic work space in Calgary’s new Central Library, although our team is currently working remotely (and connecting daily, thanks to technology)
The Interview Process
- We will review all resumes using blind screening and invite the top candidates to discuss your skills at our first round of interviews.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to meet the team virtually. You’ll spend five minutes with each of your potential colleagues and get to learn more about our organization.
- If you’re offered the position, we will have you start as soon as you are able – why wait?
We know every single person brings something different to the table. We encourage you to show your personality and demonstrate your skills in your cover letter.
- Please send your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document to email@example.com.
- The subject line of the email should read “Development Officer, Corporations & Foundations.”
This posting will be open until we find the right person for our team, but don’t delay – we hope to start calling potential candidates as early as March 1.
We value diversity and inclusion and welcome diverse expertise and talent to support an innovative and collaborative work environment. We are committed to a respectful and inclusive workplace and welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including people of all gender identities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations throughout the selection process, if so, please advise when you are contacted for an interview.