We are excited to announce a generous gift from the Suncor Energy Foundation in support of Indigenous programming and cross-cultural learning opportunities. This $1.6 million donation will enable the Library to support:
- Indigenous cultural initiatives, including performances and speaker series.
- Indigenous placemaking and art in community libraries, including the Elders’ Guidance Circle space in the Central Library.
- An online Indigenous Language learning platform.
- The hiring of two Indigenous program interns who will focus on Indigenous engagement in the design of library services. This work will ensure that all services are designed to meet the needs of the community.
- Research into an appropriate evaluation strategy for assessing the success of these initiatives.
The Library is excited to partner with Suncor Energy Foundation and fulfil its role as a truly barrier-free resource for cross-cultural education and celebration.
On April 15, registration opens for library programming celebrating Indigenous peoples throughout the month of June. These programs mark Indigenous History Month, Aboriginal Awareness Week Calgary, and the International Year of Indigenous Languages. Everyone is invited to participate in any of these free programs for an opportunity to learn and connect with our communities. To register, please visit www.calgarylibrary.ca. We look forward to seeing you there!
To see the full media release, download it here.
*image courtesy of Michael Grondin