Books must be free of mildew, mould and dirt. They should not exhibit excessive spine damage, have missing pages, or be missing their covers. Books cannot have water damage. They should not have part of the book’s pages removed with scissors or razor blades. For media, sets must be completed and cannot be missing the original case art.
Due to COVID-19, the Calgary Public Library has suspended its book donation program indefinitely. We thank you for your interest in donating books to the Calgary Public Library; for information on other ways to provide support please visit our Ways to Give page. The Library is not able to advise on book donation alternatives at this time.
We will provide updated information on book donation processes when we have it available. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this challenging time.
- Children’s Books
- College Textbooks (published in the past 10 years)
- Foreign Language Books (in Western Script)
- Hardcover Fiction and Nonfiction
- Mass Market Paperbacks
- Trade Paperbacks
- Antiquarian, Rare and Collectible Books
- DVDs and Blu-ray Discs (complete disc sets with original case art)
- Books on CD (complete disc sets with original case art)
- Video Games (complete disc sets with original case art)
Unfortunately, we cannot accept the following materials for donation:
- Activity Books and Workbooks (i.e. coloring books)
- Annuals and Yearbooks
- Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes, LP Records and Computer Software
- Books Published by Magazines (i.e. Reader’s Digest Condensed and Time Life Books)
- Case Law and Procedural Books
- Custom Course Packets
- Dated Reference Material (over 5 years old)
- Directories and Telephone books
- Journals and Periodicals
- Microfilm and Microfiche
- Newspapers and Magazines
- Non-Western Script Books
- Tax and Government Documents or Forms
- Free copies or Advanced Reading Copies.
Please recycle these or donate to another source.
Our libraries are busy places with limited back-of-house storage space. Therefore, we ask that you limit your donations to approximately 20 books or 2 large bags at a time at any community library in Calgary. For locations and hours please click here.
If you have 15 or more boxes of materials to donate, please call us at 403-221-2002 to arrange a free pick-up from your home.
The Library Foundation works with BetterWorld Books, an organization that collects and sells books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide. BetterWorld Books provides an avenue for selling donated materials and has partnered with more than 2,000 libraries in North America to list books online in marketplaces like Amazon. A portion of the proceeds from the sales are returned to the Calgary Public Library, enabling the purchase of new and needed materials.
If you have any questions about donating books or materials, please call the Calgary Public Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Please note that we do not add donated material to the Library collection and we do not issue tax receipts for donations.
Tax receipts can only be issued for the donation of books of significant value. Please make these donations through the Calgary Public Library Foundation. In order for the Calgary Public Library Foundation to issue a tax receipt, please remember that:
- The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (Revenue Canada) requires that the item be appraised, in writing, by an independent, recognized expert
- The donor is responsible for arranging the appraisal of the item, and for any fees involved in that appraisal
To arrange for your donation of a valuable book or item, please call us at 403-221-2002.